Bloomberg on NYC Rebuilding- union workers to get screwed

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sun Nov 18 18:07:10 PST 2001

On Thu, 15 Nov, Nathan Newman wrote:

> Well, for those who like their enemies speaking in clear prose,
> Bloomberg may be a refreshing change. In Newsweek this week:
>
> "It's a different kind of problem [from 1975]...Back then the unions
> didn't understand that they would have to bear the brunt of any
> downturn. Today all the unions understand that."

FWIW -- probably not much -- the first thing Bloomberg did on his first day as mayor elect, after having breakfast with Ferrer, was to meet with the heads of all three major unions. It may be nothing more than a gesture -- but it was certainly a gesture Rudy wouldn't have made.

Now that he's nominated Nat Leaventhal as the head of his transition team, and Ray Kelly as his chief of police, I'm not entirely persuaded that we haven't elected a Democrat as mayor of New York. For better or worse.

Michael