Al Queda duped?

Chuck Munson chuck at tao.ca
Sun Nov 18 19:10:14 PST 2001

Kevin Robert Dean wrote:

> http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0147/ridgeway2.php
> WASHINGTON, D.C.—Suddenly, Al Qaeda doesn't look so
> smart. Just yesterday, a Times of London reporter
> found a cache of plans, left in a Kabul home as the
> Taliban retreated, that included notes for making a
> thermonuclear device. The papers sent a chill through
> the Western world, since they appeared to indicate
> sophisticated designs for an atom bomb.
> Now the online Daily Rotten says at least part of
> those documents photographed by the Times are taken
> verbatim from a "semi-famous" pseudo-document that has
> been circulating on the Internet for years. It's a
> reprint of a scientific parody called "How to Build an
> Atom Bomb," from the geek-humor newsletter Annals of
> Improbable Research, originally known as the Journal
> of Irreproducible Results.

Reading between the lines, you have to ask who has been duped. It wouldn't be too hard for the U.S. government to conveniently "leave" those documents there, in hopes of whipping up anti-Internet hysteria with the news that "terrorists got nuke plans off the Internet."

<< Chuck0 >>

Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Anarchy: AJODA -> http://www.anarchymag.org/ Factsheet 5 -> http://www.factsheet5.com/ MutualAid.org (coming soon) AIM: AgentHelloKitty

INTERNATIONALISM IN PRACTICE

An American soldier in a hospital explained how he was wounded: He said, "I was told that the way to tell a hostile Vietnamese from a friendly Vietnamese was to shout ‘To hell with Ho Chi Minh!’ If he shoots, he’s unfriendly. So I saw this dude and yelled ‘To hell with Ho Chi Minh!’ and he yelled back, ‘To hell with President Johnson!’ We were shaking hands when a truck hit us."

(from 1,001 Ways to Beat the Draft, by Tuli Kupferburg).