Marxism At Yale

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Sun Nov 18 23:59:27 PST 2001

Justin wrote:
> What's to make of what? Roemer's a sort of egalitarian; he may or may not
be
> any sort of Marxust anymore. He has a proof that Harsanyi's model isn't as
> as egalitarian as H might like, and he doesn't like the veil of ignornace.
> Knowing Roemer, the math is right, and I don't like the VI either,

In your case, a simple "why?" would seem to be a fitting question. The VI could be seen both as good rule utilitarianism and a way to ensure distributive fairness. The question of "What sort of world do you wish to live in?" answered by a party unaware of any relevant distinctions between herself and anyone else seems as though it may be potentially instructive.

(BTW, I think my conversation starter was relatively innocuous and didn't merit belittlement.)

-- Luke