I Don't Get It

Jeet Heer jeetheer at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 19 09:05:29 PST 2001

Alexander Cockburn defended the Soviet invasion with the infamous line that "if any country deserved to be raped, it was Afghanistan." But leaving aside this crude and stupid remark, Cockburn in the 1980s was one of the few writers who noted that the anti-Soviet resistance the U.S. was backing was made up of religous fanatics. (I think Robert Fisk was another). So he deserves to say, "See, I told you so."

About Vietnam's intervention in Cambodia. According to the October 2001 issue of Lingua Franca, Benedict Anderson's work on nationalism was inspired by that war. "The roots of Imagined Communities lie in what Anderson, in the late 1970s, saw as 'a fundamental trnasformatin in the history of Marxism and Marxist movements': the wars between Vietnam, Cambodia, and China in 1978-1979. Far from presenting a unified front against Western imperialism and capitalism, those regimes...were engaged in undisgised fratricide. And so Anderson undertook a full-scale study of nationalism, a force whose power and complexity were not explained by the Marxist theory in which he had been schooled."