Workers World Support for War in Afghanistan- by the Soviets of course

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Mon Nov 19 13:17:38 PST 2001

To start with the last question, I think Afghanistan would be better off if the Soviets had never invaded in the first place. Just as Vietnam and especially Cambodia would have been better off if the US never invaded.

How are the WWP hypocrites? Because they don't say that they are for the US's defeat by anti-imperial forces, which would be honest, but instead create a front group that only speaks of opposing war in general. To quote one of the initial paragraphs of their original call:

"Unless we stop President Bush and NATO from carrying out a new, wider war in the Middle East, the number of innocent victims will grow from the thousands to the tens of thousands and possibly more. A new, wider U.S. and NATO war in the Middle East can only lead to an escalating cycle of violence. War is not the answer."

That is the sum total of analysis of the war in Afghanistan by the IAC/International ANSWER folks which they based the call to rallies upon. The hypocrisy is that they privately (outside their front group) justify the murder of "innocent victims" by the Soviets and think war was very much the answer when conducted by the Soviets. Too bad this same anlysis - of "escalating cycle of violence" - had not been applied by them to the Soviet invasion.

That so many folks justify these double-standards is at least one reason why the left gets pinned with the "hate America" label- yep, it's okay for the Soviets to invade Afghanistan, but even when 5000 Americans are murdered, the US should be attacked.

There are honest leftists who opposed both US and Soviet attacks on Afghanistan, but by associating with the IAC/WWP, they lose a lot of credibility.

-- Nathan Newman