cultural imperialism

Chris Doss chrisd at russiajournal.com
Mon Nov 19 23:37:42 PST 2001

Since rock is ultimately derived from English folk music transformed into bluegrass et al. and African music transmogrified into Gospel and then blues, aren't Americans basically reproducing British and African culture in spite of their intentions? :)

There's a heavy, heavy Slavic influence that is instantly recognizable; Russian and Caucasian melodies and rhythms, etc. Zdob si Zdub has a heavy Moldovan folk vibe going on and Ivan Kupala does Dead Can Dance-like updates of Russian folk songs. I love Ivan Kupala. (And their copious library of MP3 files!) A band like Mummy Troll would be unthinkable outside of Russia -- I just can't imagine them anywhere else.

Chris Doss The Russia Journal ---------------

Chris Doss wrote:

>If it's any consolation, one of the results on the pop culture level of
>growth of anti-Western and nationalist sentiment in Russia is that Things
>Western Are Not Cool. The airwaves are clogged with pop and rock bands from
>the FSU, many of whom are damn good.

But by playing rock, aren't they basically reproducing Western pop culture in spite of their intentions?

Doug