Conspiracy Theory as Clutter [Fwd: Re: Dumb gets dumber]

Hakki Alacakaptan nucleus at superonline.com
Tue Nov 20 12:11:31 PST 2001

I agree with everything you say Carrol, except for the "machinations of a bunch of spooks", which I see as reductionism.

"Rogue states" have been the justification for post-cold-war US military operations. Three of the "rogues" attacked by the US military - Libya, Iraq, and Afghanistan - are strategic targets related to the control of oil production, distribution, and pricing (see my "Empire expunged" post today). Covert or overt aggressive actions attributed to the rogue states were shown as justification for the US attacks. There is solid evidence that the terrorism charges against Libya were faked and that Iraq was tricked into invading Kuwait. IOW there was a covert US effort closely articulated to overt US strategy to prepare the grounds for a US attack.

The covert and overt components of US expansionism were closely integrated, much like Hitler's directive to create an "incident" in Czechsolovakia was part and parcel of his overall strategy. I hope you can see why labeling this covert component of US policy as a conspiracy is reductionist. It's no more a conspiracy than the rest of the strategic planning and execution. This is simply how governments operate.

Maybe it might help if we look at Israel. Dr. Israel Shahak, a respected peace campaigner, has written: "There is nothing new in the fact that Israel is a terrorist state which, almost from its inception, has used one of its intelligence agencies, the Mossad, to carry out violence or terror, including assassination, it considers necessary for its ends." Over there, some people called him a traitor (which was problematic, because Shahak was a Bergen-Belsen inmate), but nobody called him a conspiracy-monger. The Israelis are far more realistic about the nature of their state than are Americans. Additionally, there's a mind-blowing difference of scale: Israeli ambitions are limited to the Middle East, but those of the US may well extend to other planets.

So again, I totally agree that this is a hellish case to make in the US. Americans just love being on top of an empire.

Hakki Alacakaptan