Ethics (Was: Re: Off List Re: Marxism At Yale)

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 20 12:38:16 PST 2001

>Ok, setting aside Kantian deontology and whether, as a matter of the moral
>life, the real problem is knowledge or will, do you take there to be any
>real philosophical problems in practical ethics? I mean, are there any live
>questions about what we should do?

In lots of concrete cases, yes. Assisted suicide. Abortion (I'm speaking morally. not legally.) Balancing free speech with the need to protect against kiddie porn. The law reviews are full of this stuff. However, I'm talking about the stuff that fills the practice of the courts: murder,rape, robbery, fraud, police abuse, discrimination, etc., or the ordinary business of international politics, killing, lying. Your parents and kindergarten teacher taught you better: share your stuff, don't hit other people, be polite, tell the truth, be respectful.

jks