Arguments for ground war - forget it

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Wed Nov 21 07:53:35 PST 2001

Brad DeLong:
> >Brad portrayed the anti-war protesters, no matter how
> >orderly or polite, as personally afflicting the bereaved...
> >
> >-- Gordon
>
> Liar.
>
> What I wrote was:
>
> >>Of course the war was not legitimate. Of course in a world in which
> >>there are such inequalities of wealth and power, a counterattack
> >>was illegitimate.
> >>

> >So we should have gone to visit the homes of the dishwashers at
> >Windows on the World killed on September 11, and told their wives,
> >husbands, and children that "Because the United States is a rich and
> >powerful country, it would be illegitimate to take any steps to
> >force the Taliban to hand over those responsible for this atrocity,
> >and illegitimate to take any steps to reduce Al-Qaeda's ability to
> >commit a similar atrocity again?"
> >
> >Somehow I don't think so.
> >

> Maybe you misrepresent people's positions because it used to be
> effective, and you got into bad habits. It's certainly not effective
> today.

I didn't misrepresent your "position". You constructed a fantasy about anti-war protestors harassing the bereaved relatives of victims -- there it is, right above. But because it's a fantasy, a hypothesis, you don't have to take responsibility for it -- it's just a story, not a "position". Calling you on it seems to have been effective enough; I've merited a decoration.

-- Gordon