Arguments for ground war - forget it

Brad DeLong jbdelong at uclink.berkeley.edu
Wed Nov 21 09:32:35 PST 2001

>mbs: those are Brad's words, but that aside, you are glossing
>over the difference between law enforcement and national defense,
>between crime-fighting and war. I think stipulating norms of due process
>etc. in a military situation defies practicality and is unreasonable on
>that account. I've said before that granting discretion to the big bad
>State is clearly risky, but I see no alternative.

Yes, but the bourgeois procedural liberal inside of me sez: "If you want to shift from 'reasonable doubt-due process' mode to 'kill the fucks now' mode, first Congress has to send this particular piece of paper to the President called 'Declaration of War' and the President has to sign it. We have no business entering into what is essentially martial law without a duly passed Declaration of War."

Of course, then I take the bourgeois procedural liberal inside of me and club it senseless as if it were a baby harp seal...

Brad DeLong