Arguments for ground war - forget it

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Nov 21 12:20:13 PST 2001

brettk at unicacorp.com wrote:

>Well, I disagree. War against al-Qaeda is as absurd to me as war against
>the mafia. Al-Qaeda is not a nation, but an organization, and as such it
>should be the target of an international law enforcement effort.

According to official tales, which may or may not be true, al Qaeda has thousands of members, and became indistinguishable from the Taliban rulers of Afghanistan, with an army of many thousands more. That's a bit bigger that La Cosa Nostra. People use the crime metaphor a bit recklessly.

>Max, I'm curious. Do you think the Afghan civilians who died because of
>our bombardment deservere any sort of consideration? Should the US
>compensate their relatives? Do we owe them anything?

A massive reconstruction and development program. Anything less would be criminal neglect.

Doug