Arguments for ground war - forget it

Seth Ackerman sia at nyc.rr.com
Wed Nov 21 11:56:59 PST 2001

Doug Henwood wrote:
> Can someone explain the UN situation to me. In the current In These
> Times, Ian Williams says the resolutions - supported by Russia &
> China, among others - give the U.S. full legal authorization for the
> war. At a Nation seminar last week, someone (don't know who)
> vociferously argued to the contrary. Anyone know the story?
. The US deliberately did not seek explicit authorization from the Security Council. But all permanent members and most of the others expressed their verbal support for military action.

One possible argument I've never seen anyone make is that since the UN and most governments recognize the Rabbani (Northern Alliance) regime as the legitimate government of Afghanistan, the US bombing was "invited," therefore legal. It's possible the Bush administration never made this argument because it didn't want to alienate Pakistan by portraying the intervention as something done at the Northern Alliance's behest.

Seth