Arguments for ground war - forget it

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Wed Nov 21 13:47:39 PST 2001

>Ian Williams cited two General Assembly resolutions. I don't have my
>copy of the mag here, so I can't give their numbers.
>Also, didn't Congress pass something very much like a declaration of
>war? I'm a bit confused by people who've said they didn't.

I think the "illegal war" rhetoric is ridiculous, since this is as sanctioned a war by both domestic and international law as they come.

Domestically, Bush sought and received a very broad declaration of war and Congress has specifically allocated funds for the effort.

Internationally, the basic righteousness of US grievances have been recognized by the UN (the resolutions mentioned) and while they did not officially endorse the bombing, righteous acts essentially justify military action ("self defense") as allowed by the UN. The fact that the Northen Alliance is the still recognized government of Afghanistan just strengthens the right to the US to be there.

Which is all a good reason for the left not to harp on "legality" but rather to emphasize justice. By most measures, this is a very legal war which is committing many unjust acts and will have many unfortunate consequences in undermining the long-term security of the US.

-- Nathan Newman