Conspiracy Theory as Clutter [Fwd: Re: Dumb gets dumber]

ravi gadfly at home.com
Wed Nov 21 14:57:23 PST 2001

Doug Henwood wrote:

> ravi wrote:
>
>> here's a deal: i'll sell you my quota in this fashion: $10 for 1 post/day
>> for 1 month, $15 for 2 post/day for 1 month, and you get 3 posts free per
>> week for any post you make that reflects a pro-relativist or pacifist
>
> Sorry, posting privileges cannot be transferred. Next thing you know,
> people will be trading the right to pollute!

damn! one more case of the totalitarian state stifling the innovations of individual entrepreneurs! oh well, i tried... here's some news and a silly cartoon to make this post worthwhile:

silly cartoon first: http://www.streamcenter.com/~ravi/usaid.jpg

http://www.cnn.com/2001/LAW/11/21/inv.portland.police.questioning.ap/index.html

Portland police refuse to cooperate with U.S. questioning State law requires people be suspects before being questioned

PORTLAND, Oregon (AP) -- Portland police have refused a U.S. Justice Department request for help in interviewing Middle Eastern immigrants as part of its sweeping terrorism investigation, saying it would violate state law.

Attorney General John Ashcroft announced earlier this month that the Justice Department had distributed a list of 5,000 men it wanted to interview about the September 11 terrorist attacks, an effort that has been widely criticized by civil rights groups.

The U.S. Attorney's Office in Portland asked city police for cooperation last week, acting police chief Andrew Kirkland said Tuesday. The request was denied because Oregon law says no one can be questioned by police unless they are suspected of being involved in a crime, he said.

"The law says, generally, we can interview people that we may suspect have committed a crime," Kirkland said. "But the law does not allow us to go out and arbitrarily interview people whose only offense is immigration or citizenship, and it doesn't give them authority to arbitrarily gather information on them."

Portland is believed to be the first city to refuse to cooperate with the Justice Department in its anti-terrorism effort.

<...rest at URL above...>