Rothschild on Smith

Michael Perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Wed Nov 21 18:03:33 PST 2001

My interpretation of Smith in my book, The Invention of Capitalism, is that he was not particularly interested in economic growth and development per se, but rather he advocated policies that he thought it would promote growth to change human behavior so that people would relate to each other at arm length the way merchants treat one another.

--

Michael Perelman Economics Department California State University Chico, CA 95929

Tel. 530-898-5321 E-Mail michael at ecst.csuchico.edu