Arguments for ground war - forget it

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Nov 21 18:59:35 PST 2001

brettk at unicacorp.com wrote:

> That's a good point. If al-Qaeda really was part of the Taliban, then we
> really would have been at war with Afghanistan. ObL certainly says there
> is a war against the US, and if he's speaking as a member of the Afghan
> government, then you're correct.
>
> I'm open to this possibility, but I haven't seen anything to convince me of
> it yet. And is this really the position of the Bush Administration? I've
> always heard them say that the Taliban is harboring al-Qaeda. I've never
> heard anyone say they are indistinguishable.

If it was an act of war, and if Afghanistant was the war-making power, then the equivalent of the 911 was Reagan's surprise attack on Grenada or Bush's surprise attack on Panama. So the only reason that al-queda is "worse" than Reagan, Bush and their advisors is the greater military strength of the latter. <sarcasm>

And if 911 was an act of war than it was not only not a crime against humanity but it was not a crime or even misdemeanour of any sort. It was a legitimate act of war, following the U.S. practice of surprise attacks, and the deaths were merely collateral damage, not an atrocity.

Carrol