Crime not War (Re: Arguments for ground war - forget it)

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 22 11:05:16 PST 2001

Due process is: Whatever the hell the empire feels
>like at a particular moment, it does, the only limitation being the
>constantly expanding limits of US public credulity as to the legimity of
>such wanton acts. I think that's a more realistic depiction of the post-S11
>world order than what is being discussed on this thread.

I'm not sure what your point is. You think the US govt is out of control and not following any discernable rules of justice or law. I agree. But you also seem to say, why talk about due process, justice is just the will of the stronger! In which case, of course, the US is following the correct rules of justice. I think you express a cry of despair rather than a thesis about whether it makes sense to invoke due process. Of course the US is not following DP, that's the criticism. Of course it isn't going to. But we don't hold it to that standard, we have no basis for criticizing its actions.

jks