Crime not War (Re: Arguments for ground war - forget it)

Hakki Alacakaptan nucleus at superonline.com
Fri Nov 23 11:01:54 PST 2001

International law is now a _negative_ concept - something that should be, that once was, but no longer exists. We can no longer speak of breaches of sovereignty, of crimes against humanity, etc., _as legal concepts_ after S11 because the legal framework has been subverted. We can speak in moral terms, of course, but our discourse will be negative, for the concepts we use are no longer institutional. We should take care that any crimes we impute on a state from now on should not be understood as crimes in the legal sense, for when top cop is the biggest criminal, the definition of crime collapses.

Of course most pundits will pretend nothing untoward has happened, but the Afghanistan war has really been the daisycutter that broke the camel's back, and if the party moves on to Iraq, the camel will be atomized. It's very hard to pretend the ICJ has any legitimacy accusing Milos of genocide now (although the bastard should be convicted, legitimate or not).

I think it's important to put the US war against Afghanistan in perspective, as Chomsky is doing, and to show that above and beyond the individual cases of military action and their apparent causes, there is a continuing, persistent demolition of civilization.

Hakki Alacakaptan