Feminist Solidarity and Afghan Women (by Shahnaz Khan)

Angelita Manzano angiemanzano at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 23 12:29:19 PST 2001

--- Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> wrote:
> stilted); but her thesis and criticism of the
> Feminist Majority
> campaign, with which the Revolutionary Association
> of the Women of
> Afghanistan (RAWA) has been aligned, is valid.

Thanks for posting this article. It's interesting. What are the specific criticisms of the FMF and "liberals" that you think are valid? I'm thinking that certain criticisms like these . . .

*feminists in the US are trying to "save their brown sisters from brown men," *feminists in US are "sensationalizing" the plight of women "over there" *feminists are deluding women in the US into believing that they no longer need to direct their feminist activism to women's conditions in the west

. . . were these kinds of criticisms levelled at African-American activists working to end apartheid in South Africa? Of Chicanos supporting the Zapatistas & various struggles in Latin America? If not, why not?

===== Angie Manzano off our backs magazine 2337B 18th St NW Washington, DC 20009 ph: 202-234-8072/202-682-4000 fax: 202-234-8092 web: www.igc.org/oob