Arguments for ground war - forget it

Abe abinitio1 at givepeaceachance.com
Fri Nov 23 14:41:49 PST 2001

From: "JoeG" <JoeG at ieee.org>
>3) American lives are more valuable then other
>people's lives. Thus, the Sept. 11th attacks
>are wrong, because they killed innocent
>Americans, but the current war is okay because
>the innocents being killed are just Afghans
>and they're inferior anyway.
>I happen to take position 2. Most Americans
>I have spoken with take position 3,
>though
>they don't always phrase it that way.

Then you have mischaracterized their position.

I'd say that most USers (it's not Americans, by the way) believe that September 11th was an unprovoked attack. Some of them believe something along these lines. Argue with the position, below. You will appear more honest.

----------------- We have done nothing to harm bin Laden. bin Laden says he is unhappy about our presence in Saudi Arabia. However, the House of Saud wants the US in Saudi Arabia. If he is unhappy about that, then he is no more justified in attacking the US than is the Army of God in bombing abortion clinics or assassinating abortion providers. Both are acts of terrorism that exist outside normal politics.

bin Laden's problem is with the House of Saud. He should deal with the House of Saud by way of the political mechanisms that are available for doing so; The Army of God should deal with the US government which creates abortion policy and should do so by way of the political mechanisms that are available for doing so.

bin Laden chose to act outside typical political channels. This is unacceptable. To tolerate such activities is to encourage more of the same. bin Laden should be punished for what he did. Doing so is a deterrent to those who might have considered doing the same in the future.

bin Laden was thought to be hiding out in Afghanistan. In order to 'bring bin Laden to justice', we negotiated with the Taliban. However, according to official reports, the Taliban said contradictory things. They did not seem serious. Faced with the overwhelming firepower of the US, UK, and support of many nations, the Taliban thought they could defy US requests. The Taliban knew the consequences. The were belligerent.

The Taliban could have backed down the moment the bombs were dropped. They did not. Why not? ----------------

Abe

_____________________________________________ Free email with personality! Over 200 domains! http://www.MyOwnEmail.com