Crime not War (Re: Arguments for ground war - forget it)

Alec Ramsdell aramsdell at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 25 14:00:26 PST 2001

but I think it's page 34 in _Empire_ that
> gets at this. Starting with the first paragraph,
> it's
> a prescient passage on terrorism, international law,
> and police action.

To clarify, it's the "Intervention" section I had in mind, and this paragraph on p. 37:

Moral intervention often serves as the first act that prepares the stage for military intervention. In such cases, military deployment is presented as an internationally sanctioned police action. Today military intervention is progressively less a product of decisions that arise out of the old international order or even U.N. structures. More often it is dictated unilaterally by the United States, which charges itself with the primary task and then subsequently asks its allies to set in motion a process of armed containment and/or repression of the current enemy of Empire. These enemies are most often called terrorist, a crude conceptual and terminological reduction that is rooted in a police mentality.

[end]

Alec