A note to the exorcists

Ken Hanly khanly at mb.sympatico.ca
Sun Nov 25 18:15:54 PST 2001

An example of ad ignorantiam would be:

God exists since you cannot prove that She does not.

This involves a difficult to prove negative as premiss. But you could equally argue -pace St. Thomas et al. They were not interested in proving a She anyway...

God does not exist because you cannot prove that She does.

Ad ignorantiam has nothing to do with proving a negative per se. It is simply that not being able to prove X definitively does not entail that not-X or vice versa that being unable to prove not X entails X.

By definition logic can be reduced to math...is this reverse Russell-Whitehead? I was going to respond to Grimes but this is getting tiresome. The example has nothing to do with what we are talking about except in very remote family resemblance way.

CHeers, Ken Hanly

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chip Berlet" <cberlet at igc.org> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Thursday, November 22, 2001 6:40 PM Subject: Re: A note to the exorcists

> Hi,
>
> Well, the raven paradox is part of it, as were the fallacies noted by
Yoshie: