Frontiers of corporate compassion

Jim Westrich westrich at miser.umass.edu
Mon Nov 26 07:13:02 PST 2001

Woman loses job at Christopher & Banks clothing store for donating a kidney (and saving her mother's life).

Corporatespeak:

"Allowing the leave could have created a precedent whereby other leaves not covered by the Family and Medical Leave Act, which were denied, could have resulted in a perception of discrimination," said John Prange, vice president of human resources for the 353-store chain, headquartered in Minnesota. "We empathize with her situation."

http://seattlep-i.nwsource.com/local/47757_kidney22.shtml

Peace,

Jim

"My software is not compatible with you."

-Neil Young, "Without Rings"