IMF in Africa

Patrick Bond pbond at wn.apc.org
Mon Nov 26 13:04:01 PST 2001

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kevin Robert Dean" <qualiall_2 at yahoo.com> Sent: Monday, November 26, 2001 6:52 PM
> "To fully involve Africans in international
> partnership activities, African
> citizens should be effectively involved in the
> negotiations and planning which
> are expected to be as open as possible," he said.
> He said through such participatory processes, Africans
> would be empowered to
> shape their own prosperity and destiny.

No thanks, this has been the grand co-optive vision of the WB/IMF reformers, and it hasn't happened yet because the contradictions are enormous and the radical civil-society comrades too vigilant. The WB/IMF Pamscad, Sapri and PRSP gambits are failing, thank goodness. The only solution is to reword that last sentence:

"Through rejectionist, abolitionist processes aimed at kicking the Bretton Woods Institutions out of their countries, along with comprador governments, Africans would be empowered to shape their own prosperity and destiny."

I'm off to Malawi first thing tomorrow to witness some of the best comrades in our region--affiliated to the Southern African Peoples Solidarity Network (http://aidc.org.za) --do just that.

No partnership blahblah from them, I predict.