privatization rush slows

Mina Kumar wejazzjune at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 26 20:04:57 PST 2001

>From: Jordan Hayes <jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com>
>To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com
>Subject: RE: privatization rush slows
>Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 19:35:55 -0800 (PST)
> > I suspect there would be benefits to rebalancing the nation's
> > transportation more in the direction of rail, less for air and auto,
> > but I don't have any cites on this.
>
>They probably don't exist.

I'm pretty sure there have been attempts to calculate environmental etc benefits of rail v trucks, though I can't think of any cites off hand. Maybe Transportation Research Board papers?

Nonetheless, I think Amtrak's problem is
>that it's being asked to do two things at once: provide for "real"
>transportation in a few places (the "corridors"), and provide some
>partly symbolic, partly nostalgic "good old days" tourist train
>service, nominally so that many Senators can claim they support the
>rails.

I agree, but I also think the problem is that Amtrak's subsidy is made directly to the company, so it's very visible, while the subsidy to air/road is indirect and therefore not as noticeable.