Israel death squad chief becomes peace negotiatormigre

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Nov 27 07:30:31 PST 2001

Carrol Cox wrote:

>Hakki Alacakaptan wrote:
>>

>> Have Sharon and Dubya made a private wager as to who can appoint the largest
>> number of dirty warriors to key diplomatic and human rights posts? If so,
>> Dubya has the lead with ex-Contra terror chief Negroponte at the UN, Contra
>> conspirator Elliott Abrams at the NSC Office for Democracy and Human Rights,
>> and the top nominee for assistant secretary of state for inter-American
>> affairs, Otto reich, whose career is studded with capers like setting up an
>> "interrogation" unit at Grenada and sponsoring Cuban émigré terrorists in
>> Venezuela.
>>

>Hakki, here you see the true viciousness of "conspiracy theorizing" --
>and the viciousness would remain _even_ if the particular conspiracy
>theory were true. I almost missed this interesting observation because I
>had stopped reading your posts. Just as I have stopped reading the posts
>of Jared Israel over on the marxism list. Claiming conspiracy is a
>really powerful way to gag oneself (or what amounts to the same thing,
>to shut the ears of one's potential listerners). Let me put it this way,
>if I were in possession of proof positive of the claims you have been
>making, I would suppress that evidence on the grounds that revealing it
>would spread confusion among leftist forces. This is overstating it just
>a bit, but only a bit. Conspiracy theories belong to the extreme right,
>no matter the politics of those who propound them and no matter the
>nature of the evidence for them.

The only conspiracy element of the quoted bit is the wager, and that could be a joke. Appointments like Abrams, Negroponte, and Reich are outrages right out in the open - and rather unambiguous symbols that Bush has surrounded himself with some of the more egregious thugs U.S. imperialism has ever deployed. Just what are you objecting to here?

Doug