taliban/burmingham

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Nov 28 10:54:00 PST 2001

joanna bujes wrote:

> At 12:14 PM 11/28/2001 -0500, you wrote:
> > >Am I the only person out there that thinks forcing the Afghan government to
> > >include women is a profoundly dumb idea?
> >

> >roll it back to 1952 or so. imagine you're in Birmingham.
>
> Not quite comparable. Feminism imposed by an imperialist power in one of
> its "colonies" thends to have the opposite effect--even though people
> "know" better. It feels like an attack on their identity--at least
> according to Fannon.
>
> Joanna

I wonder what would happen if an army of occupation in the U.S. (backed up by some force eqivalent to the IMF power over Afghanistan) would impose free abortion on demand without notification of parents or spouse, and forbid all anti-abortion propaganda? Established round-the-clock free child care and incorporated all women into the public work force? It is hard for U.S. citizens, even leftists, even revolutionaries, to imagine what it is like to be omnipresently subjected to foreign control, visible and invisible.

The comparison to Birmingham in the '50s illustrates such a failure of imagination.

Carrol