On Selective Pacifism & other Oddities

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Nov 28 19:03:55 PST 2001

One other objection to the term "selective pacifism" is that it goofs up the meaning of the word "pacifism" as used by 'real' and consistent self-labelled Pacifists. Members of the Mennonite Church, for example. And in anti-war coalitions it is really quite important to keep these terms reasonably straight so that members of those coalitions can talk to each other with some minimal clarity. Miscommunication could have seriously disruptive consequences. I can work (have worked, am working) with pacifists. They can work (have worked, are working) with me. But I can't see any thing but utter chaos if one begin to throw around such terms as "selective pacifism" (it's really bad writing; it's a confused and confusing oxymoron -- a figure that can work powerfully when conscious and under control but gives at least the appearance of cretinism when sloppy).

Here is a case where an exception does test the rule. At an early meeting of the coalition here I rose to note that it did not consist wholly of adherents of "non-violence"; that I for example approved of the Vietnamese use of violence to oppose the u.s. invasion and the U.S. use of violence to suppress the insurrection of the slavedrivers. Later on a woman from the ISU history department (speciality: Civil War history) remarked to me in private conversation that she _was_ a pacifist, but that she could not quite avoid feeling that Lincoln had been right to call out the army. I think the rule survives the test: she was quite clear in noting that her particular judgment clashed with her general principle, and she was quite clear what the general principle was. Accurate language -i.e., the possibility of communication -- is maintained while ordinary human complexity and sloppiness is honored.

But Max is trying by sheer violence (and I think considerable historical distortion) to apply the generic term "pacifist" (specifically qualified with "selective") to persons who never were nor never called themselves pacifists of any kind. They were/are just persons that independently of any general principles about war or violence correctly thought this that and the other war (e.g. the u.s. invasion of vietnam, the u.s. invasion of the Dominican Republic; the u.s. assault on Afghanistan) were criminal operations. If they can be called (selective) "pacifists," than every single blooming homo sapiens ever born was a pacifist, and the word loses all meaning.

I come back to my initial judgment: the phrase "selective pacifist" is is seriously bad writing -- and one can't take seriously any discourse which seriously uses the term. (How's that for using a word three times in one sentence with a different sense every time.)

Carrol