On Selective Pacifism & other Oddities

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 29 08:04:29 PST 2001

>CCox: . . . But I can't see any thing but utter chaos if one begin to
>throw around such
>terms as "selective pacifism" (it's really bad writing; it's a confused
>and confusing oxymoron . . .
>
>mbs: Well the internal inconsistency is the whole damn point!!!!
>But undeniably it's confusing because at least one of us is
>confused.

I don't get it. If I oppose _this_ war, I have to oppose _every_ war? Why? What's wrong with traditional just war theory, taught at the Point and Annapolis, under which it can beargued that some wars, e.g., the wara gainst the Nazis. is just, but some other wars, like the US invasion of Vietnam, or theSoviet invasion of Afghanistan, or this war, is unjust? jks