On Selective Pacifism & other Oddities

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Thu Nov 29 12:22:09 PST 2001

> You have to read the arguments charitably. If someone whom you know is not
> pacifist puts forward an argument that, taken one way, implies pacificism,
> and taken another, does not, why not interpret it the second way?

Because one would have to be charitable to the point of reconstruction to interpret it the second way. "The war is wrong because innocent civilians will be killed" becomes "the war is wrong because many more innocent civilians will be killed than saved." I think I know why so many are fonder of the first formulation: its truth is apparent to all while the second requires taxing verification and analysis.

-- Luke

> The first way makes for diverting but increasingly irritated and angry
discussion. jks