On Selective Pacifism & other Oddities

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Nov 29 11:10:32 PST 2001

ravi wrote:

>i am once again puzzled by this line of reasoning, since i do not see
>"fall silent" as the next act to what michael writes (or what other
>people, broadly referred to as "pacifists" write). all of these people
>including michael have been and are doing various things to bring
>about the kind of changes they think will make a better world.

I'm all for doing those things to make a better world, and saying it to a broad audience, too. But that's a long-term approach. There were - are - thousands of very bad dudes holed up in Afg, and thousands more scattered all over the place. I don't see much serious thought about those facts.

Hey, and anyone who despises the Saudi and Kuwaiti regimes - they're the moneymen behind al Q. So instead of saying, "Well I don't really know what's going on, can't trust the info we're getting on 9/11," I say, fuck it. Al Q sucks, and should be put out of business, and doing that requires going after SA and K. We can make common cause here - the war against terrorism should be a war against sheiks too.

Doug