What is to be done about Everything?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Nov 29 15:44:59 PST 2001

Gar Lipow wrote:

> Carrol - I think ...
> We
> need to be able to answer the question: "what would you do if you were
> in charge?".

I and others, on this list and elsewhere, have put the arguments against this about as fully as they can be, so endlessly repeating them seem futile. As I told my daughter nearly 40 years ago, if I were alive in 1860 I wouldn't be me, and if I were in charge I wouldn't be me, so the question is a non-question. It doesn't exist. It can't be formulated. (One can make the sounds, and find those sounds registered in a dictionary, but the question is still simply non-signifying sound.) One remark.

As long as we thought like this in the 1960s there was no anti-war movement. That movement only really began when we simply started to demand, Bring the troops home, and refused to argue about what was good or bad in Vietnam. I don't know what the government should do, and I do not give a fuck. If they keep on randomly slaughtering long enough, there will be a reaction. If they get their killing over quick, there's nothing I can do about it. Those who ask this question are seriously deceiving themselves.

Carrol