D2

Mina Kumar wejazzjune at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 29 16:43:10 PST 2001

>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>To: lbo-talk <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com>
>Subject: D2
>Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 12:02:02 -0500
>
>Is this a joke?

><http://www.walkforcapitalism.org/index.html#cities>.

Oh, depends on what you mean by joke. But if you're thinking of writing a piece on how the right has taken up the strategies of the left (from the above to the cop riot in NY to the Repub flunkies rioting in FL), I'd like to submit the following evidence:

Somewhere or the other, I picked up aa hip, techno-design looking card for a fundraiser to benefit the Welfare to Work Partnership, featuring art work, short animaged films, djs, mc's etc., held at that trendoid williamsburg, Bk spot Galapagos. There's no info on the card about the welfare to work partnership, but you can find out about it here:

http://www.welfaretowork.org/

How did The Partnership get started? On Aug. 22, 1996, the Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act (Welfare Reform Law) was signed into law, "ending welfare as we know it." At that time, many businesses recognized the private sector must take the lead in moving people from welfare to work. On May 20, 1997, the CEOs of five companies -- Burger King, Monsanto, Sprint, United Airlines and UPS -- joined together and founded The Welfare to Work Partnership. Rodney Carroll is the President and CEO of The Partnership, Gerald Greenwald, CEO Emeritus, United Airlines, and Jonathan Tisch, Chairman and CEO, Loews Hotels, serve as Vice Chairmen of the Board.

The other article I long for someone to write is about how job applicants have no right to privacy, not just having to hand over their urine but to sign releases for everything from credit reports to interviewing neighbors (!), and even get fired for something like having a spotty credit history.