Opposing the Protector of Global Capitalism in Principle

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Thu Nov 29 22:22:21 PST 2001

> >Even if few or no Afghan and other civilians
>>and combatants were being killed now, US imperialism would still
>have
>>to be resisted. You find both pacifists (e.g., Gordon Fitch,
>Carl
>>Remick) and non-pacifists (e.g., Carrol Cox, Charles Brown)
>among
>>those who oppose US imperialism in principle; you can probably
>also
>>find both pacifists and non-pacifists among those who don't do
>so.
>>--
>>Yoshie
>
>What about selective pacifists?
>
>Peter

One is either a pacifist or a non-pacifist. Those who oppose some wars but not others are not selective pacifists but *non-pacifists, plain and simple*. I suppose that the insistence of the media & some LBO-talkers on painting *all* oppositions to the enduring war on freedom to be varieties of pacifism may be a way of saying that they don't want to even imagine that oppositions to the war may, God forbid, develop into an anti-imperialist movement, not an anti-war movement.

against the Empire, -- Yoshie

* Calendar of Anti-War Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html> * Anti-War Activist Resources: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/activist.html> * Student International Forum: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osu.edu/students/CJP/>