Grameen troubles

Patrick Bond pbond at wn.apc.org
Thu Nov 29 22:36:57 PST 2001

I like the documentation of systematic misinformation. That's helpful. South Africa' microcredit industry collapsed badly in 1998-99 as well, notwithstanding very aggressive hucksters who pumped Grameen, group credit and women as ideal-type (non-defaulting) borrowers.

a) Wasn't Grameen's early sucess, in reality, based upon a $5 mn Ford Foundation annual grant ("charity") that allowed a subsidised interest rate? Wasn't that grant cut so Grameen could stand on its own two feet?

b) In the good old days a decade ago, when Yunus was promoting his ideas in South Africa, he bragged to us that he'd turned down WB loans and wouldn't touch the institution with a barge pole.

Schadenfreude here.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Henwood" <dhenwood at panix.com> To: "lbo-talk" <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Tuesday, November 27, 2001 5:41 PM Subject: Grameen troubles