Opposing the Protector of Global Capitalism in Principle

Peter K. peterk at enteract.com
Fri Nov 30 06:34:55 PST 2001

>plain and simple*. I suppose that the insistence of the media &
some
>LBO-talkers on painting *all* oppositions to the enduring war on
>freedom to be varieties of pacifism may be a way of saying that
they
>don't want to even imagine that oppositions to the war may, God
>forbid, develop into an anti-imperialist movement, not an
anti-war
>movement.
>
>against the Empire,
>--
>Yoshie

I'm all for an anti-imperialist movement, but not one that isn't against massacring innocent civilians. In respect to Israel, Edward Said wrote:

"Many ordinary Europeans and Americans no longer accept the notion that Israel enjoys some special moral status, which makes its policies of dispossession and assassination pardonable. The occupying power still has its imperial protectors abroad. But in the court of world opinion it has grown more isolated, and Israelis know it.

That is what explains the desperate expedients to which its friends in the United States have resorted, as they thrash about in search of a way to extricate Israel from the impasse of its attempts to suppress the new Intifida."

There was anti-imperialism brewing, even before the current war. Al Queda may have struck a blow against the Empire, but it was suicidal and gave the US a nudge towards fascism. Nor very smart anti-imperialism.

against the Empire and Al Queda, sorry you can't say the same.

Peter