Taliban/Birmingham

Kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Fri Nov 30 08:59:26 PST 2001

At 09:57 AM 11/29/01 -0800, joanna bujes wrote:

>No. It wasn't here. I was thinking more of Virginia Slims feminism

well, i certainly hope Benetton Anti-Racism or Ad Council Anti-Racism or Walmart Anti-Ablism get the same ^H^H^H^Hcriitical deployment.

>and the way in which capitalism has played on the issue to liberate itself
>from any recognition of social necessity.

you can say the _exact_ same thing about the civil rights movement or any struggle on the part of an oppressed group. capitalism appropriates all these struggles into its one-dimensionally, seamless web.

what is interesting about all this is that, in the name of protecting third world women from the depredations of Virginia Slims Feminism, this argument is, once again, erasing third world women. it's exactly what spivak complains about: the ideological position one advances is erased and, simultaneously, the voices of third world women it supposedly speaks _for_ are also erased. no one has _listened_ to them. instead, the argument is listening to the Voices of Virginia Slims Feminism (!!!) and the US media's representations of Afghanistan and women in Afghanistan![1]

kelley

[1]