selective pacifism

Kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Fri Nov 30 10:27:23 PST 2001

At 02:45 AM 11/30/01 -0600, Daniel Davies wrote:
> Max wrote:
> > More generally, the presumption that using violence >is a losing game
> because you create more enemies than you kill. I would >call hat a
> pacifist argument too.
>
>which can't be right. The argument "war is a bad idea because you create
>more enemies than you kill" is not even a moral argument against war; it
>more or less explicitly admits that it is not an argument against
>situations in which you can be confident that you won't create more enemies
>than you kill.

whatever it is, i happen to regard the argument as, again, blatantly opportunist for its logic would, in another situation, be vehemently opposed by many who've advocated here. it is an argument for enlightened self-interest and _that_ is something leftists frequently attack--as they should. applying it to this war in order to convince another leftist is insulting.

kelley