What is to be done about Everything?

Brad Mayer bradley.mayer at ebay.sun.com
Fri Nov 30 11:55:14 PST 2001

At 12:16 PM 11/30/01 -0500, you wrote:
>Gar:
>
> >Carrol - I think you are overlooking the demand here. We are dealing
> >with a government doing the wrong thing against terrorist who have
> >killed a lot of people in the U.S. and successfully terrorized them.
> >We are opposed to the evil things this government is doing in
> >response. We need to be able to answer the question: "what would
> >you do if you were in charge?". People simply will not consider
> >anyone a serious critic who refuses to answer this question.

What to do? 1) Refuse to be the "human shields" in protection of criminal foreign policy. That's the duty brave Washington has volunteered us - and I do mean 'we' (mbs), and 2) while on that subject, another kind of 'we' should reject chauvinist bigotry.

Oh, and a logic and reading comprehension note: a potential or actual victim of a terrorist act is not the same thing as acting as an (unarmed, obviously) human shield, voluntarily or involuntarily. Acting as a human shield is not to be confused with the issue of terrorism, but it is the former and not the latter that immediately, concretely confronts "us" now.

Otherwise, you have to believe in mbs' and Hitchens brainless dogma: If only "we' support Washingtons' "war", there will be no more terrorist attacks like that of Sept. 11. Trust then, they "know". They bet their lives on this inevitable outcome of the "war". Look! They've volunteered themselves as human shields.

And "us" as well, as we should never cease to remind them.

-Brad Mayer