Markets Antiwar?

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 30 23:05:54 PST 2001

>My fondness for Clinton may be seen as reactionary, but a period of largely
>peacetime economic growth where lower-income workers actually got at least
>a small bite of the cherry seems worth at least a bit of praise, compared
>to Carter's semi-Hooverism/Volckerism or four other Democrats (FDR, Truman,
>Kennedy & Nixon) who had their economic policies built around massive
>overseas wars.
>
>-- Nathan Newman

I'd say Clinton's adventuristic foreign policy prepared the way for the massive but hopelessly ill-defined overseas "war" we're in now. And his economic growth was built on sand, no more than a binge of speculation and over-investment. Having had their "small bite of the cherry," lower-income workers can now look forward to quite a different bite -- unemployment and the impact of Clinton's welfare "reform."

Carl