lbo-talk-digest V1 #5353

brettk at unicacorp.com brettk at unicacorp.com
Fri Nov 30 17:27:14 PST 2001

Chris Doss wrote:
>>Hmmm, I did not say this. "Harping on the burkas" means obsessing about
>>particular aspects of Afghan culture that are popularly (presumably)
>>accepted in Afghanistan, and not being concerned about women being raped
>>and having acid thrown in their faces (something the Northern Alliance is

>>much more guilty of than the Taliban, if you believe RAWA).
>>Chris Doss
>>The Russia Journal
>
>fuckmedead. what kind of disconnect makes it possible that you can
maintain
>that your concern about acid is somehow not about burkas? acid was thrown
>in their faces be/c they were unveiled!

Chris is talking about the Northern Alliance, not the Taliban. It was the Taliban who required women to wear Burkas, not the NA. Duh!

>what kind of disconnect makes you
>believe that those who've written about veils don't care about acid, rape,

>etc.?

A good point. But my impression from reading the mainstream media is that there has been a lot of commentary on the treatment of women under the Taliban (burkas, no chance to be educated or earn a living), but not so much on those of the NA (I assume because the NA are now officially our friends). For example, the Oprah show which my mom taped about the fate of women in Afghanistan didn't mention the treatment of women under the NA at all, or what happened in Kabul from '92 to '96. I don't know if feminists have engaged in this one-sideded focus. RAWA certainly hasn't.

On a separate topic:
>From the YeahSureRightFW Dept:
>"If young women go for older men and vice-versa, who cares? The problem is

>the asymmetries in wealth and power between individuals which make one
>person more dependent on/vulnerable to the other, usually the woman.
>If we could eliminate class, innumerable social problems would be solved
>virtually overnight."

Whatever, kelley. Thank you for taking this out of context and/or not reading my other posts at the time which elaborated my thinking. I'd appreciate it if you would stop using this as your sign off.

Brett