Impeach dictators?

Kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Fri Nov 30 19:10:04 PST 2001

At 09:58 PM 11/30/01 -0500, Mina Kumar wrote:

>>From: "Daniel Davies" <dsquared at al-islam.com>
>>To: " lbo-talk at lists.panix.com" <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com>
>>Subject: Impeach dictators?
>>Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 02:57:02 -0600
>>
>> >Bush should be impeached if he implements the secret military
>> >court. That's dictatorship. The way to deal with enemy soldiers is to
>> >put them in prison camps, not hold secret trials. Prisoners of war
>> >have rights. If you take them out and shoot them after a secret trial,
>> >you are a war criminal. Charles Brown
>>
>>errrrmmm ... the fact that you are describing Bush as a dictator in your
>>second sentence after calling for him to be impeached by democratically
>>elected houses of parliament in your first suggests to me that Kelley,
>>Justin, Brad et al might have a point when they talk about "knee-jerk
>>anti-Americanism"?
>

>He didn't say Bush was a dictator, he said if Bush assumes dictatorial
>powers, i.e. subverts democracy, the democratic process should remove him
>from power. It occurs to me that there may be a point in you reading a
>little more slowly.

the key word was "describing". charles describes a single act as dictatorship. dictatorship n : a form of government in which the ruler is an absolute dictator (not restricted by a constitution or laws or opposition etc.) it is not a dictatorship if bush assumes that one particular power. were it a dictatorship, then there would be no democratic institutions for him to draw on.