burkas

Charles Jannuzi jannuzi at edu00.f-edu.fukui-u.ac.jp
Fri Nov 30 20:07:58 PST 2001

>Chris is talking about the Northern >Alliance, not the Taliban. It was the
>Taliban who required women to wear >Burkas, not the NA. Duh!

I lost the thread, but this is a very specific point. The burka has been around a lot longer than the Taliban, and there are cultures which the NA draws on that also require it (fundamentalist shia I believe). Just because some women in Kabul can now unveil doesn't mean that many where the custom is long-standing would dare to.

Charles Jannuzi