Post-Galbraoith Warfare- Bombing can win wars

Max Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Fri Nov 30 20:30:20 PST 2001

This is a whole different matter. Strategic bombing aimed to cripple an advanced economy. It was thought that creating key bottlenecks by well-focused destruction of particular sectors would bring down the German war machine. But evidently economies are a bit more flexible than that.

In Afgh there is no such economy to target, nor any reason to do so.

mbs

-----Original Message----- From: owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com [mailto:owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com]On Behalf Of Michael Perelman Sent: Friday, November 30, 2001 9:50 PM To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Subject: Re: Post-Galbraoith Warfare- Bombing can win wars

Nathan, I have looked at the thoughts of a number of people on the bombing survey. You are right that modern bombing seems more effective.

WW II bombing was mostly directed at military sites; the more recent bombings were more directed at civilian infrastructure. Vietnam and Korea were intermediate cases -- where irrigation systems were targeted.

I am not an expert on this subject; I don't even play one on tv.

--

Michael Perelman Economics Department California State University michael at ecst.csuchico.edu Chico, CA 95929 530-898-5321 fax 530-898-5901