Unwritten rules of the list?

Charles Jannuzi jannuzi at edu00.f-edu.fukui-u.ac.jp
Mon Oct 1 02:54:33 PDT 2001

My tit for a tat. Following Kelley's rules:

, Charles Jannuzi wrote:
> >fuse<<
> >
> >Actually, Kelly, I'm bit fed up myself, but save the fuses for real
> >problems.
> > You see, I'm a bit fed up at people who quote entire posts in order to
> >reply to one part
>
> i covered that: that's what a giant encrusted dingleberry is.

There Kelley, does that refresh your memory enough? Do you see now why, when I joined this list, I thought at first many of you had problems with cognition and language processing?

And is this really your idea of intelligent discussion? What would the CIA or NSA make of it? It wouldn't even have to be encrypted in porno graphics to make uttlerly no sense whatsoever to anyone who just joined the discussion.

Doug H is list owner and moderator. I'm not Doug H.

And, I'm not an audience-friendly discussant because I only write for real discussants, not list voyeurs.

Also, I hate e-mails in the quotes and comment format. It's not my personal style. I'll try to do better if it keeps you on an even keel.

I'm a synthesist of threads I like. I at least usually get the name of the thread right. And most of my contributions can be understood from their own context. That's right: they are coherent. I also invite multiple interpretations and follow-up ambiguous responses. I mean, sheesh, what would Kierkegaard have done with this medium?

Also, so far I've made some original contributions that DO NOT come from the perspective you obviously are used to (and so your emotional ketchup burst is probably just sublimination of some sort, perhaps we knew each other in different lives, bad karma, I was cow you were a bug in my grass and I ate you ).

Still, if only ten people think I'm an asshole I must be doing something wrong. Of course that might mean that only twenty people or so actually read anything posted to the list (?).

Finally, if you are so worried about bandwidth for people who pay to dial up (we pay for local calls here in Japan you know), stop adding those decontextualized quotes at the end of your posts. In the digest it looks like Mr. Pivner and William Gaddis share your out-box or something. Or stop contributing to threads like this and send a polite, private post to the person off list detailing, with quotes, how your milieu has been violated.

Charles Jannuzi