Sociology and Explanations (Re: Hitchens responds to critics

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Mon Oct 1 08:49:21 PDT 2001

At 07:37 AM 10/1/01 -0700, Ian Murray wrote:

>Why the "....." around the word loved and mutual recognition?
>
>Ian

an interesting explication of what this might mean--one that transforms this more into a sociological argument--is Eli Sagan's _Freud, Women and Morality: The Psychology of Good and Evil. Another one that I particularly enjoy because he works at the level of organizational theory is Larry Hirschhorn's _The Workplace Within_. The problem, it seems to me is that the concept is terribly relative. The child rearing "expert" Penelope Leach is of the mind, for example, that to leave your child crying to much during the first 6 months is to fail to provide "mutual recognition".

kelley