URL for proposed Antiterrorism Legislation?

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Mon Oct 1 09:24:19 PDT 2001

At 11:08 AM 10/1/01 -0400, hncl at panix.com wrote:
>Does anyone know a URL with the text of the proposed Antiterrorism measure
>to expand wiretap, etc.? Please email me offlist if you know.

only if you post more!

i post on list since i think this is worth acting on.

Gene Spafford has some decent letters to his congresscritters: Your own mileage will vary http://www.cerias.purdue.edu/homes/spaf/action.html

If you think there is some value in this, feel free to pass it along to friends.

ALERT: Hackers Could Get Life in Prison, No Parole, Under "Anti-Terrorism" Bill

Act Today and Ask Your Legislators to Remove Dangerous Provisions

Electronic Frontier Foundation ACTION ALERT (Issued: Wednesday, September 27, 2001 / Deadline: Friday, October 7, 2001, unless extended)

Introduction:

San Francisco, California - The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF)

today condemned portions of the Anti-Terrorism Act (ATA) currently

under consideration in Congress which would treat all computer

trespass as terrorism (in addition to other provisions we oppose, such

as vast expansion of surveillance authority).

"Treating low-level computer crimes as terrorist acts is not an

appropriate response to recent events," said EFF Executive Director

Shari Steele. "A relatively harmless online prankster should not face

a potential life sentence in prison."

The ATA includes provisions that dramatically increase the penalties

for acts that have no apparent relationship to terrorism. For

instance, the bill would add low-level computer intrusion, already a

crime under other laws, to the list of "federal terrorism offenses,"

creating penalties of up to life imprisonment, adding broad

pre-conviction asset seizure powers and serious criminal threats to

those who "materially assist" or "harbor" individuals suspected of

causing minimal damage to networked computers.

Attorney General John Ashcroft asked Congress last week to pass the

ATA, formerly known as the Mobilization Against Terrorism Act (MATA),

with less than one week of consideration.

EFF believes the ATA would radically tip the United States system of

checks and balances, giving the government unprecedented authority to

surveil American citizens with little judicial or other oversight.

What YOU Can Do Now:

* Contact your own legislators about the ATA/MATA and related bills

AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. Call them, and fax and/or e-mail the EFF

letter below (or your own) today. Postal mail will be too slow on

this issue. Feel free to use this letter verbatim, or modify it as

you wish. Let them know that you do not believe liberty must be

sacrificed for security. Please be polite and concise, but firm.

For information on how to contact your legislators and other

government officials, see EFF's "Contacting Congress and Other

Policy makers" guide at:

http://www.eff.org/congress.html

and see also the links below.

* Join EFF! For membership information see:

http://www.eff.org/support/