Choices (was Re: Sociology and Explanations (Re: Hitchens responds to critics

James Baird jlbaird3 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 1 10:37:50 PDT 2001

> Mina, where had those immense Third World riches
> been before they were
> plundered by gluttonous Westerners? And why did not
> those riches prevent
> the plunder in the first place?
>
> wojtek

Exactly - the legend has it that before Jack Philby convinced Ibn Saud that maybe he should invite some oil companies in to prospect, the King could carry his entire treasury around with him in the saddlebags of his camel. There were no "riches" there until western technology and capital came in and developed them.

The main problem I see with the region is not too little wealth, but too much. Their "free" mineral wealth has enriched the region without all of the processes of urbanization and modernization the west (and later Japan and East Asia) went through. So now you have a midieval theocratic society with access to 21st century weaponry.

Jim Baird