LA protest & UCLA parking incident

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Mon Oct 1 21:05:30 PDT 2001

>From another list -- one ugly development.
marta

========UPDATE! WORSE THAN WE ORIGINALLY THOUGHT!==================== [from CISPES-L.A.] This situation, reported in the post below, is worse than we originally thought. Reports are coming in from folks who read it.]

A couple who actually spoke at the rally returned to the UCLA parking lot after the event and found the parking lot locked, with cars inside. They approached the attendant and asked why the lot was closed. The attendant told them that he was ordered to lock up the facility while FBI agents "scanned the automobiles" inside. The UCLA attendant, assuming that the couple was not involved in the rally and march, spoke openly about the "scanning" of the cars by federal agents. It appears that license numbers were recorded although it is uncertain how the FBI would know which cars belonged to participants of our event and which were "Westwood shoppers." We are posting this to illustrate how the escalation of activity by police agencies and federal agents is quite intense. We are also alerting progressive legal agencies about these developments.