Fw: [ASDnet] division on the right - Natl. Review Drops Raving Columnist

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Tue Oct 2 07:42:47 PDT 2001

Heh, Wotjek, I love trawling on the Right. I'm the garbageman! Emulate the tactics of the Dylanologist, Al Webberman (?) who once went through Bob Dylan's trash.

The Coulter column, btw, was taken off of the Jewish World Review website. Saying Jews too, should convert to Christianity, like Coulter said Muslims should, was just too much. Michael Pugliese P.S. Jonah Goldberg, son of Lucianne, has a checkered pen himself. Last year made a racist crack about the Chinese after a restaurant menu was slipped underneath his door.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Andrew English" <aenglish at igc.org> To: "dsa" <asdnet at igc.topica.com> Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2001 6:48 AM Subject: [ASDnet] division on the right - Natl. Review Drops Raving Columnist

> National Review Cans Columnist Ann Coulter
> By Howard Kurtz
> Washington Post Staff Writer
> Tuesday, October 2, 2001; Page C01
>
> Even by her usual incendiary standards, Ann Coulter's response to the
> terrorist attacks was something of a jaw-dropper.
>
> "We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to
> Christianity," the conservative commentator declared in her column on
> National Review Online.
>
> Those words created an uproar at the Web site, which refused to run a
> follow-up piece in which Coulter singled out what she called "swarthy
> males." She promptly began bad-mouthing National Review, which responded
by
> axing her as a contributing editor.
>
> "If National Review has no spine, they are not my allies," Coulter said
> yesterday. "I really don't need friends like that. Every once in awhile
> they'll throw one of their people to the wolves to get good press in
> left-wing publications."
>
> Asked for comment, National Review Online Editor Jonah Goldberg said: "We
> didn't feel we wanted to be associated with the comments expressed in
those
> two columns. We got a lot of complaints from sponsors and a lot of
> complaints from readers left, right and center. We've decided for
editorial
> reasons we think are sound that we're no longer going to run Ann Coulter's
> syndicated column."
>
> Coulter's column, distributed by Universal Press Syndicate, is carried by
> several Web sites and 50 newspapers, including the Washington Times (which
> did not run the columns on terrorism). A Universal spokeswoman said the
> Denham Springs News in Louisiana has also canceled the column. But
National
> Review provided the most prominent perch.
>
> A former Justice Department attorney and Senate aide, Coulter is the
latest
> opinion-monger to come under fire over the attacks on New York and
> Washington. She grouped herself with the Rev. Jerry Falwell (who
apologized
> for blaming the attacks on gays, abortionists and civil libertarians) and
> "Politically Incorrect" host Bill Maher (who apologized for calling U.S.
> troops "cowards" for bombing from afar).
>
> "People are hysterical about speech right now," Coulter says. "Everyone's
> comments are being taken out of context and wildly misinterpreted."
>
> On Maher's ABC show, Coulter accused National Review of having "censored"
> her by refusing to run the follow-up column. She said yesterday that
> National Review Editor Rich Lowry and his deputies "are just girly-boys."
>
> Lowry was traveling, but Goldberg said: "For Ann to go around screaming
> censorship is absurd. It's called editorial judgment, and there's a world
> of difference. . . . She's a lawyer. She should know better."
>
> Coulter, who also writes for Human Events, has taken her lumps. New York
> Times columnist Frank Rich said she was fueling "hysteria on the right."
> Boston Globe columnist Alex Beam called her a "right-wing telebimbo."
> Cleveland Plain Dealer columnist Tom Brazaitis accused her of
"bloodthirsty
> rhetoric."
>
> With her trademark short skirts and long blond mane, Coulter became a
cable
> television fixture during the Monica Lewinsky saga, denouncing Bill
Clinton